• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

spider shim

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Is it possible to shim the spider on the cat six bolt clutch? It's an 08, the sled has 294 mi. on what looks like the original belt and is worn pretty well and I noticed that this belt looks like it doesn't have much side to side clearance.. So I can only imagine that with a new belt it will be too tight or , when I take the spider off the shaft will it destroy the threads like usual...

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
You want about .020 play in there.
Unless you have the tools,
Have the sled shop remove your clutch and spider and add shim to get it right. A competent shop should be able to handle it.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Ya,, have a friend with the tools just was unclear if it can be done.. Seems like if you don't hold your head just right or was it how you place your arms? I don't remember,, thought I read some where that the success rate of removing the spider is a crap shoot without destroying the threads.....

I remove spiders all the time, and have only seen it pull the threads once. Just make sure you get some heat and it has time to penetrate all the way to the threads. Clean up all the green loc-tite when before you put the spider back on. If you are running stock cat weights and the clutch has not been re-shimmed, it shouldn't be necessary.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
shim

I remove spiders all the time, and have only seen it pull the threads once. Just make sure you get some heat and it has time to penetrate all the way to the threads. Clean up all the green loc-tite when before you put the spider back on. If you are running stock cat weights and the clutch has not been re-shimmed, it shouldn't be necessary.

Ya,, have not looked to see what weights it has but with the springs that are in the clutches
I would have to say that the drive clutch has cat 3k to 6k weights in it.. What I noticed was the used belt that is on it looked to be tight side to side.. This sled has not been ridden hard, I bought it with 294 mi on it and am sure the belt is the original...

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Even stock from the factory, with stock weights and stock springs it can be off. My m7 had .080. My m1 had about .030. My second primary i bought for the m1 doesnt have enough and will squeel if the deflection is too tight. It also doesn't fully shift no matter what I do. Changed springs. Checked bind, changed weights bla bla. Not sure what to do about that one.

Premium Features