• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quickdrive issues 850 Kaos Matryx Slash 165?

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
22 Kaos Matryx Slash 165, 180mi, ridden in Ca. so not much pow this year due to crappy season. So sled has been ridden in low throttle easy riding. Barely have had a chance to ride this thing wide open in soft deep snow.

Riding today at the end of day I hear this rubbing sound like a stick in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Open up side panel to see quickdrive belt grinding off the top side back edge. There is nothing sticking out rubbing on the top side of the belt that I can see. But obviously something is. Only place i can't see is towards the bottom of the quickdrive. I am guessing a case bolt has backed out and is now rubbing on belt. Won't know until I get home and can take out the battery and battery box to see what's at the bottom.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this or has any insight? Missing a day of riding tomorrow because of this.

20220226_160336.jpg 20220226_160345.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
22 Kaos Matryx Slash 165, 180mi, ridden in Ca. so not much pow this year due to crappy season. So sled has been ridden in low throttle easy riding. Barely have had a chance to ride this thing wide open in soft deep snow.

Riding today at the end of day I hear this rubbing sound like a stick in the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Open up side panel to see quickdrive belt grinding off the top side back edge. There is nothing sticking out rubbing on the top side of the belt that I can see. But obviously something is. Only place i can't see is towards the bottom of the quickdrive. I am guessing a case bolt has backed out and is now rubbing on belt. Won't know until I get home and can take out the battery and battery box to see what's at the bottom.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this or has any insight? Missing a day of riding tomorrow because of this.
You probably have a stick, spring, or something stuck under there.

That belt is probably fine to run.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Under warranty let your dealer Ef with it. that's a $239 belt. I'm sure others here would suggest after they put it together and drop a cv customs lightweight battery kit in I would agree.
Also check your exhaust springs.

This guy talks a little bit about an exhaust spring breaking/coming off and messing things up on the belt drive.

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Under warranty let your dealer Ef with it. that's a $239 belt. I'm sure others here would suggest after they put it together and drop a cv customs lightweight battery kit in I would agree.
Also check your exhaust springs.

This guy talks a little bit about an exhaust spring breaking/coming off and messing things up on the belt drive.

Didn't think to check my exhaust springs. I looked around to see if I could see any missing bolts that may have fallen in there.

And already got the light weight lithium battery in there.

Yes, the dealer needs to warranty but never like them working on my stuff. Problem is, belt is on backorder so don't even know if I can get one. And to top it all off, I have a trip to finally go get some real snow in Rev, BC in a week that has been in planning for 6 months!

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Didn't think to check my exhaust springs. I looked around to see if I could see any missing bolts that may have fallen in there.

And already got the light weight lithium battery in there.

Yes, the dealer needs to warranty but never like them working on my stuff. Problem is, belt is on backorder so don't even know if I can get one. And to top it all off, I have a trip to finally go get some real snow in Rev, BC in a week that has been in planning for 6 months!
I'd use panty hose if I had to. Have fun on your trip.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
This can also happen from transversing steep deck ramps. Ask me how I know.
There’s also been a couple reports of an extra fastener (foreign) finding its way down there. The belief in looking at the fastener is it was dropped while assembling the shipping frame. It’s standard.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Thinking of how one small item can mess things up and remembering all the stuff I would find when I dropped the belly pan/Skid plate on older sleds. Usually a spark plug or two would be found. Probably a good idea to add a collapsible magnetic pickup tool in the bag.

H
Dec 4, 2007
I had 2 issues with the quick drive belt on my 22 khaos first was brake was rubbing slightly on rotor but not enough to have the light on rotor got very hot and melted the belt when I would stop wore out a set of brake pads in 150 miles I have heard this on several other sleds. Second issue was I did have something left in my engine compartment during assembly and it went through my belt and lower pulley putting a 1/2” tear in the belt and chewing up several teeth on the pulley everything was looked after by my dealer quickly I was lucky they had all the parts in stock I also heard of a few other sleds with foreign objects left during assembly taking out belts/ pulleys.Not surprised things where missed with the rush to get sleds delivered I have seen several sleds now with built dates within 3 weeks of delivery.

B
Feb 17, 2019
I had the exact same thing happen to my Boost 850. Believe it or not the very end of the running board was making contact with the edge of the sprocket and belt. I had to file the edge of the running board back a bit to give the belt and sprocket clearance. Polaris warrantied it. Had to take the battery etc out on the trail to fix it.
9727d4b4597c909ea4840006afb963ee.jpg

7b20064649320d355ddb06e83bbc61f5.jpg

100948b479fa7106ce3fd8d65610396e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
I had the exact same thing happen to my Boost 850. Believe it or not the very end of the running board was making contact with the edge of the sprocket and belt. I had to file the edge of the running board back a bit to give the belt and sprocket clearance. Polaris warrantied it. Had to take the battery etc out on the trail to fix it.
9727d4b4597c909ea4840006afb963ee.jpg

7b20064649320d355ddb06e83bbc61f5.jpg

100948b479fa7106ce3fd8d65610396e.jpg

BINGO! That has got to be it. That would completely make sense! Thank you for responding and adding the pics.

B
Feb 17, 2019
BINGO! That has got to be it. That would completely make sense! Thank you for responding and adding the pics.

Yep. I’m about 100% sure yours rubbed at the same spot as mine.

The rest of you should check the clearance between the end of the running board near where your right big toe would rest, and the larger quick drive sprocket / quick drive belt. Then consider filing back some of the running board for more clearance.

I think maybe the sled even twist a little right at that spot under the right stress like going thru whoops??

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
Forklifts and/or steep ramps cause that.
Understand the forklift part but what about steep ramps causing it? Meaning bottoming out when loading or unloading? Or twist of chassis?

I road my sled for 180mi before this happened. Plus I road all day yesterday and at the very end of the day this happened. I didn't hit anything or bottom out. I am guessing like Bill Delong said above, that my runningboard is coming in contact with it. I am also guessing that it was much too close to quickdrive from the factory and now after use the running board has twisted or flexed ever so slightly just enough to come in contact with quickdrive.

I will know 100% today after i get home and can pull it all apart.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Understand the forklift part but what about steep ramps causing it? Meaning bottoming out when loading or unloading? Or twist of chassis?

I road my sled for 180mi before this happened. Plus I road all day yesterday and at the very end of the day this happened. I didn't hit anything or bottom out. I am guessing like Bill Delong said above, that my runningboard is coming in contact with it. I am also guessing that it was much too close to quickdrive from the factory and now after use the running board has twisted or flexed ever so slightly just enough to come in contact with quickdrive.

I will know 100% today after i get home and can pull it all apart.

Steep ramps to decks. The steeper angle applications creates a pinch point. It allows thr plastic and the lower QD gear to high center at the point where the ramp meets the deck. Most of the time this will happen while reversing off the deck and not when loading as during loading, the ski’s are in the air and the sled is in a different attitude than during unloading.
A strong guard in this area might help but it’s not a fix as the plastic can still flex at this pinch point and the guard results in less clearance

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I can already see when my sled comes in next season the first thing I'm doing is stripping it down checking every alignment, clearance and bolt I can find. I doubt Quality across the board will not improve until this supply chain issue clears up but with world events going on, I don't see that happening for a very long time.

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
I can already see when my sled comes in next season the first thing I'm doing is stripping it down checking every alignment, clearance and bolt I can find. I doubt Quality across the board will not improve until this supply chain issue clears up but with world events going on, I don't see that happening for a very long time.
I felt I did a pretty good job of that myself. Although never thought about pulling out the battery the battery box and then completely pulling off the quickdrive which is the only way to get the belt off and check clearances from running boards to belt. But if I were you now knowing what I know I would have done that also.

blkspd

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
BORING OR
I've changed out tree belts and pullies this year . Two of them random nuts and the worst one was the Y pipe tab broke off causing the spring to go into the QD. It also ruined the pan, Not a good year for QC on Polaris part . People don't take pride in there jobs anymore

nut1.jpeg nut2.jpeg spring.jpeg

R
Jan 3, 2018
Lake Tahoe
I've changed out tree belts and pullies this year . Two of them random nuts and the worst one was the Y pipe tab broke off causing the spring to go into the QD. It also ruined the pan, Not a good year for QC on Polaris part . People don't take pride in there jobs anymore
Damn! Same issue here. Even same nut. See below.

Premium Features