• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

where can a guy boondock in michigan

M
Mar 18, 2008
midwest
have a place off of torch lake been riding up there for 3 to 4 years now does anybody ride the dreamland off trail easy for us to get there and what the rules about riding off trail

T
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
a few

Wakefield, Porkies, Silver City, White Pine.

There are ton's of fun boony area's. Ride the trail and start looking,

My Fav. is the little Iron, and Backside of old baldy.

Twin lake's is also fun but a bit popular.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I ride the Porkies. Awsome logging roads to explore. I'm looking at braching out this coming winter though. Is there a map out there that will show the areas that are legal to ride?

J
Nov 28, 2007
Lake Tahoe and Chicago
you just ride the trail and hop of in the porkies or what....where you ride at...been all through twin lakes, ontanogin...white pine..tavolia....copper harbor....calumet...lots of beat up logging roads and no open areas to play in...3 of 4 ft max of snow...1 or 2 of pow ive seen in the last 4 or 5 years. melts and comes...melt and comes..passed creeks and nasty hills or crap that others wont touch and still just ok.....stayed at s. range and they took me in the back country and was no snow..

porkies is what elevation......we rode the road to the torist spot and did the look out.....can you ride from that route....best duct off we found were in the two lane trails.....(one way) any info would be great.

even did the john dee tour few years back...was not him but same stuff we find up there....

love the up and its close but thinking of going a few more days and going to dakotas for now on.....

Last edited:
J
Nov 28, 2007
Lake Tahoe and Chicago
thinking of trying big bay agian....been about 8 years since ive been there....anyone go there or live there.....last time there was only two bars next to each tother...one was a old historic house and the other was a local bar...that was the town if i remember right. looking to ride not drink but the town was tiny and i dont remember the riding...any good up there...

thanks

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
you just ride the trail and hop of in the porkies or what....where you ride at...been all through twin lakes, ontanogin...white pine..tavolia....copper harbor....calumet...lots of beat up logging roads and no open areas to play in...3 of 4 ft max of snow...1 or 2 of pow ive seen in the last 4 or 5 years. melts and comes...melt and comes..passed creeks and nasty hills or crap that others wont touch and still just ok.....stayed at s. range and they took me in the back country and was no snow..

porkies is what elevation......we rode the road to the torist spot and did the look out.....can you ride from that route....best duct off we found were in the two lane trails.....(one way) any info would be great.

even did the john dee tour few years back...was not him but same stuff we find up there....

love the up and its close but thinking of going a few more days and going to dakotas for now on.....

RE: Porkies,
Yeah, you are not going to find huge wide open areas to play in. Of course, that goes for most of the UP.
IMHO the Porkies are great. I played around that area all last winter. You have to be careful where you go though.The actual Lake of the clouds outlook area in on State forest and is closed to snowmobiling from what I understand. All the area on the west side of trail #2(the 2 lane highways as I call it) is national forest and you can go whereve you want. There are tons of logging rodes to explore. You have to be willing to go in deep for the good stuff. Also have to be willing to leave the roads and go through the trees. I have found some awsome spots just drving aimlessly through the woods and I come upon a virgin logging trail. Make sure you have a GPS if you are gonna do this. Also, the weekends are a bad time for this. The logging roads are all beet down by then, gotta go during the week. The Porkies can get an amazing amount of powder if you time it right. It settles pretty quick though. Gotta be willing to ride when it's dumping LES. I have seen elevations in the 1900-2000ft range on my GPS.

Ult680

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Ada, MI
If you are riding in the eastern u.p. you might want to take the time and cross the bridge into Ontario. The permits are a bit pricey but the riding is far better than the u.p. . I love supporting the Michigan economy, but riding in Ontario is simply awesome! We started riding out of Searchmont "about 30 min. over the bridge", and the off trail from there and to the north is where its at! Ride all day and see 3 sleds. Just my 2 cents!

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Going to college here in Houghton Mi. We already have a god start to the snow fall. Hoping to get out for the first time this weekend. Planning on hitting up the Mass City area, and some of Rockland. If time permits might take a trip up to Copper Harbor too. Awesome riding areas, people are great, scenery is amazing, overall you just can't beat this area to ride in!!
Nolan

M
Jan 20, 2008
Awesome....let us know nmmiles. I thinking about comin up there very soon to get some miles on the new sled and just wonderin if its worth the 5 hour trip yet?????

thanks

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Sounds like there's about 1-2' of fluff with no base. Another week or two will be much better. Depends how bad your thumb is twitching!

My first trip is 20 days away...Here's one for the LES guns. :beer;

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
the riding this weekend was awesome. Spent most of my time in the Houghton/Mass City/ Rockland area. About 2ft of snow depending on where you go, great base starting to form, actually seen 2 groomers out already. As far as driving 5 hours to come up and ride I cant really say. I have the playground in my back yard so It's not as hard of a call for me. Happy Ridding!
Thanks,
Nolan

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
About the Porkies, ANYTHING north of South Boundary Road (snowmobile trail in the winter) is off limits to sleds/atv's. It is a wilderness area. Before you start riding wherever the heck ya feel, make sure it is not private property, or a freaking wilderness area for the cripes sake.

Premium Features