American Snowmobiler welcomes stories and photos
from its readers and freelance writers.
|WHAT WE LIKE|
We are particularly fond of
- Travel stories that give our readers a look at, and solid information about, new areas where they can snowmobile. We require that the author also provide us pictures and trail maps.
- Sled modification stories, where an individual has customized his or her sled. Be sure to tell us what parts were used and how much was spent overall! We also will want some pictures of the project sled, before and after.
- How-to stories describing how to modify or improve your sled, complete with pictures of the steps.
- Personality stories about interesting people of note in the snowmobile world. Again we would want several pictures of the story subject.
- Photos of trail adventures with family and friends, accompanied by an explanation of why the picture is particularly meaningful and identifying everyone in the photo, plus when and where it was taken.
(These might be used in the magazine or in our Photo of the Week feature on the internet!)
- Photos and stories about vintage sleds.
- Anything interesting or newsworthy. If you're not sure if we would want your story, email us at:
The editor will then respond, telling you to go ahead with your story, or no thanks, we already have had that story, or one like it, in the recent past. Generally we ask that your stories be no longer than 1,200 words, but exceptions are possible.
We prefer that submitted stories be written in and sent to us in an attached Microsoft Word document. In most cases we buy exclusive industry rights, although again, some exceptions are made.
Pay for stories varies depending on length, time required to gather the information, quality and type of story. Likewise, pay will vary for photos.
The editor will explain payment before accepting a story (or photo), or assigning one. After acceptance you'll be sent a contract with an explanation of copyrights and payment. To be paid, we will need your Social Security or Federal Taxpayer I.D. numbers. Your payment will follow the return of a signed contract.
We do NOT pay for photos sent to us for the Photo of the Week feature on the Web, or for those used in our Mail Bonding (Letters) page in the magazine.
If you have further questions, please e-mail them to: